Pages

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Inherited From My Mother

As I was washing the dishes the other morning, a thought occurred to me that I have inherited a love of cleaning from my mother. I really do enjoy cleaning.


Don't get me wrong, there are certainly days where the thought of cleaning the same mess again; folding the same washing again, wiping the same table again, scrubbing the same loo again, sweeping the same floor again, really is the last thing that I want to do. But for the most part, I really love having a clean, tidy, organised and fresh smelling home. Are you the same?

I remember when I was a girl, my mother would exclaim quite happily, "Room cleaning time!". My younger sister and I would groan and roll our eyes at each other. We knew what this task entailed. 

We would have to get rid of rubbish, straighten things up, make our beds, sweep or vacuum and mop, and the most dreaded job of all ... dusting. Yuk. We had to take our ornaments and nick-knacks off our duchesses and dust that surface and polish it till it shone with O'Cedar Oil. It was so annoying.

Sometimes my sister and I would have a race to see who could finish it first. I was known to 'dust' mine at times using a shirt bound for the dirty clothes basket, but mum always knew I didn't do the job properly and, sigh, I would have to do it again!

What we also found frustrating was the fact that it didn't seem to matter how we arranged our ornaments back on our spotless surface, mum would always come back in and re-arrange them! What was the point?!

As frustrating as the whole process was, my sister and I agreed that after the job was done, we really did enjoy walking into a clean bedroom again!

Now as a mother of four, I've found it quite amusing to see that my children have a similar reaction to cleaning as my sister and I did ...


See? ...

12yr old Mr S looking very unimpressed ...
9yr old Little Miss P already daydreaming! ...
7yr old Little Miss J with an expression much the same as my sister used to give!

4yr old Mr R contemplating whether he should or not!
Still they give their best most times. It's a hard thing to teach the kids to help the family, be responsible, look after their things and others. I've found that the main reason that I love to clean is because, for me, it's showing God my grateful heart for His many blessings that we enjoy in our family home. I love aiming to keep my home in a way that glorifies Him! This is the truth that I speak about to my kids and actively show them too.

Don't get me wrong, our homes not a magazine home decorator home, in fact it's not even ours, we're renting. But it's home. It's not always as clean as I'd like it, but it's home. There are messes each day ...

See?!! ... 

Mr R scattered Lego everywhere, Little Miss J accidentally spilled
water on the carpet ... twice.

LIttle Miss J is so creative she made a cubby out of the
side dining room door, as you do, and the pegs were spilled,
and the cubby remained there for about 4 hours!


Always washing ...

A pet hate of mine ... messy bookshelves! Aaaahhhhhh!!

Did I mention more washing?!

I really do value my mothers "room cleaning times" so much more now that I am a mother with my own children to raise and train (I guess she could see that I would need to know how to do it for my family one day!) Mum has taught me so much about home keeping, home hygiene and making a home beautiful. I'm so thankful.

This is how I'd like the rooms in my home to look all the time ...



... yeah right that's never going to happen! That's not reality with a large family! 

However, I still try my best to keep our home tidy, and that's all we mums can ever expect of ourselves. We do pressure ourselves way too much don't we? I really am so incredibly grateful for the love of cleaning I've inherited from my beautiful mum. Hope fully, eventually my kids will appreciate inheriting it from me too! Time will tell! 


2 comments:

  1. Love the kids faces LOL! And mum still comes into my room and rearranges my stuff...still!! I remember the stink of cedar oil and the oily feeling on my hands that never seemed to go away -.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy! Yep, mum still comes up here to visit and re-arranges things! Oh I love her! I have strangely enough, grown to like the smell of the O'Cedar Oil ... never thought that would happen! Love you Sis xx

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...