Pages

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Succulent Table Gift

My Dad is a lover of succulents. To be honest, I really didn't have an appreciation for them at all, until somehow, he got me hooked. And now my son is hooked too. Is there such a thing as succulent disease?

For Christmas this year my amazing husband allowed me to use one of the coffee tables that he made out of old windows, which unfortunately had the glass top accidentally smashed, to make a succulent table for my Dad for his gift. We thought it was an amazing way to re-purpose the still very structurally sound, and beautiful table without needing to use the glass.

So, my son and I headed into town to visit Mitre 10 to purchase some extra succulents to add to the cuttings from ones already growing around our home. We chose some larger ones so that they could be 'features' in the display. While we were out, my hubbie chipped out all the excess putty, planed and sanded, drilled drainage holes, lined the base with black plastic, and then added chicken wire in replacement of the glass.

It looked great! ...


My youngest son, eager to fill the table with soil for his Papa!
The table, prior to soil and plants.
The table being filled with succulent soil.
As we planted the cuttings, we tried to fill in the gaps and have each succulent nice and close together,
 it gives a much nicer look!

The (almost) finished display ...


My Dad has a lovely undercover outdoor veranda out the back of his house so we are hoping that he will find the perfect spot for it there! We do plan on adding more plants over the next week (my Aunty is visiting tomorrow and is bringing some of her succulent cuttings with for us!) We also thought that leaving a bit free would allow Papa to add his own, and have some gardening fun for himself too!

We are really happy with the table and hope that Dad is too!

Oh, and while I think of it ... here's an update, as promised, of my herb seeds that I planted in my new herb stand. They're not quite big enough yet to start using, 
but it won't be too long! ...




There is actually a few teeny, tiny leaves growing in the Peppermint!

Simple gardening brings such great pleasure!

14 comments:

  1. Hello, Elisha. What a beautiful and practical gift you made. Your dad will just love it. Isn't it great to have such a handy husband? (I have one too).
    I'm so glad to see your herb sprouts. I was wondering how they were doing since you last posted. Do you have them in an enclosed porch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gleniece, I really do enjoy having a handy husband! It's great you have one too! Yes, my herb stand is undercover on our back patio so it gets just the right amount of sun and shade! Thank you so much for commenting. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I love the idea of repurposing old window frames. I never think of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, it was a lot of fun! Merry Christmas and I hope your time with family is full of many blessings!

      Delete
  3. I love the table. As you know great minds think alike, I just posted a table using chicken wire but I have the glass on top. Don't you just love using chicken wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, I'd love to see your table too ... I'll check it out!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to repurpose an old table as a gift sure to be appreciated. I love succulents, too, and wish I had several more around the house. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, now that Dad has taken the table to his home, I find myself thinking that I'd like one for myself too!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea for succulents. I have always like them, but now I too love them! lol! Must be catching. :) I bet your dad is loving it. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely catching, I think I'll make myself (or my man hopefully) one too, I really like them!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this over st Bloggers Spotlight Link Party! Hope to see you again this week, pinned too!

    PS:

    I will be featuring your post this week. Stop by so you can grab your featured button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much Cristina! I really appreciate being featured. Blessings to you!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...