Pages

Monday 2 November 2015

Herb Stand

As I've shared with you all in my post about My Personal Goals, I am wanting to learn more about natural living, healthy eating, gardening etc. Over this past weekend, I was able to set up a herb stand that I am very excited about. My son and I did it together on Saturday night, which made it even nicer! 

At our local produce there were herb seeds for sale that were $4.30 a packet, I thought that was way over-priced so I held off, and I'm glad I did. I searched in the dollar store and found herb seeds there for only $1.69 a packet! ... much better! So I grabbed all the ones that I knew I'd use in our kitchen (and hopefully teas and medicines etc), and brought them home pretty excited to get it started! Such simple things in life!

While in Toowoomba a couple of weeks ago, I planned ahead by purchasing some small terracotta pot plants from Bunnings for only $1 each! The cost of the same pot-plants where we live are over triple the price! So, naturally, I stocked up! (my husband plans on using some for making more of his amazing projects too!) A couple of $3.00 bags of potting mix later and I have some herbs planted, waiting to sprout! I'm so thankful that I was able to do this little project cheaply! I was going to wait to purchase some already established single herb plants from the next local markets, but I'm impatient. Sigh. Even though I have to wait for the seeds to germinate anyway! Oh well! 

My parents gave this gardening stand to us a couple of Christmases ago, I'm happy to have it set up with herbs!

I remembered I had two vintage drawers that I thought would add some nice character to the shelf! 
The stand is set up underneath our outdoor patio area, so that it's nice and close to the kitchen! I find that if I have herbs close I see them regularly which reminds me to not only use them, but water and fertilize them as well! I love sending my kids out to pick the herbs I need to add to cooking, it is a really good experience for them! 


Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace.
May Sarton



When the flower blooms, the bees come uninvited.

I'm very excited to be growing Peppermint and Lemon Balm, I've not grown either of these before. I think they would both be nice in a tea? 

I'm looking forward to seeing all the little sprouts popping up out of the soil in time! 
Next, I hope to plant up more flowering plants; maybe lavender, some bulbs, some roses ... and anything else that's pretty really! I was watching Sarah, Plain and Tall the other day with my girls, and Sarah was hanging lavender up in their home to dry it ... I hope to do the same! 

Pinterest has been overloading my mind with all these gardening ideas that I am really keen to begin! As we are renting, I'm trying to set up things in pots so that we can take them all with us when we leave. I've been smitten with the 'hidden gardens'  that I put into the search bar on pinterest. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to create a little hidden spot, bursting with beautiful flowers, sweet smells and lots of birds, butterflies and bumble bees! 

Little things seem nothing, but they give peace, like those meadow flowers which individually seem odorless but all together perfume the air. 
Georges Bernanos

Well, I hope you're all having a wonderful week! I'll be sure to show you photos of the herbs as they sprout and then recipes using them! 

14 comments:

  1. I love your plant stand and I wish you luck with your herbs. They make everything taste better! A couple of weeks ago I brought my herbs inside in the hopes to save them over the winter (Michigan). Have a great gardening season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie! You're right, they do make everything taste so much better! I hope you have success with saving your herbs through the winter cold too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing on The Healthy Living Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! Such a good way to keep fresh herbs on hand. Thanks so much for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project and pretty display you have made also! Those herbs will be such a blessing for your meals and your health! Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pots full of herbs and our meals full of them too! Hope you're having a great week Jes!

      Delete
  5. I love gardening stands. They remind me of my grandmother. I'd like to get one for our place. Good luck with the herbs. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee, I hope you can get some for your home too! I must admit, I'm pretty addicted and I hope to have some more soon too!

      Delete
  6. This wonderful! I have a stand and I don't do anything with it. Next summer I should make it a herb stand. I love herbs! Thanks for the inspiration! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I hope you do create a herb stand, I'm sure you'll enjoy making yours as much as I did mine :)

      Delete
  7. Oh that looks lovely! I would love to have a herb garden. You've inspired me. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to have a herb garden of your own Jes! It's been really enjoyable watching the growth of the little plants as they sprout! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...